Most garage door and motor manufacturers recommend yearly servicing. But as everyone who has had a working door for a decade without adjustment would suspect - this is often more than is necessary. The need for garage door servicing depends on many factors including:
- the quality of the garage door in question
- the quality of the initial install
- the frequency of usage
- the frequency of servicing
- the quality of motor (if motorised)
- Some lesser factors such as ambient conditions, wind load etc.
Luckily it is not necessary for the home owner to assess all these factors. A few basic observations will likely give you the answer.
The answer is usually yes. If it rolls up and down smoothly and the fibrous edge strips are intact the door is probably a good candidate for automation.